I do understand what you said about two music libraries, but I've
decided that's the way to go after much experimentation.  In my case, I
got an 80GB iPod (only easily portable thing that could come close to
accommodating most of my music collection in M4A format), did a batch
transcoding job to copy all the FLACs I had to a mirrored M4A library,
and now when I get a CD, I use REACT2 to simultaneously rip FLAC and
M4A tracks.  Why an iPod over a Creative, Cowon or other device?  Major
reason: I wanted to take my collection in the car and use my HU to
control the music, and for better or worse Apple pretty much has that
integration available in a way others do not.  And in general the iPod
accessories market is larger (and therefore more competitive) than what
is available for other devices.

Heartily agree with the other posters on using something other than
lossless on a portable device for all the reasons stated.  In terms of
the iPod, I found AAC (M4A) format slightly better in listening quality
(at a given bitrate) than either VBR or CBR Lame-encoded MP3.

--
Balthazar_B