simbo;200972 Wrote:
> - Your credit card company will add a handling fee, probably about 3.5%,
> about £5 on an SB3.
If you get a Nationwide credit or debit card there's no handling fee.
The exchange rate is pretty favourable too.

> - Delivery to the UK is about £20 for the express option (thanks
> Ur[s]uS), and should arrive in 2 days.
Express options will almost certainly attract customs fees as it will
cause it to go by courier and they are stricter on applying fees. In
some cases (e.g. FedEx) you get the bill in the post weeks or months
later.

Heuer;200979 Wrote:
> If you use a courier (UPS, Fedex, DHL etc) you will definitely be
> charged duty, either at the door or by letter. If you use USPS you
> could get lucky as Parcelforce in the UK tend to be swamped and a lot
> of stuff is waived through.
USPS *should* come via regular RoyalMail but it depends how it's routed
I think. Express USPS however will go via Parcelforce and they will
charge customs fees and the fee is extortionate compared to non-express
(something like £18).

Also ParcelFarce will almost certainly loose the package, or return it
to the sender after claiming they left a card but didn't and not
bothering to wait the mandatory week before returning it. Plus they're
a nightmare as their depots are only open in work hours, are miles away
from anywhere and have little or no customer parking. Then you have to
try and get service as you stand at the desk for ages pressing the
bell, then they take half an hour trying to find the package (only to
then say they can't find it).

Not that I hate ParcelFarce much of course!

If the parcel comes via regular RoyalMail there's a higher chance of it
avoiding customs. Though note if it does get hit, RoyalMail have now
increased their handling fee to £8. That's twice the price it was
before and a rise somewhat massively higher than inflation! Oh and
they've cut back the opening hours in some of their collection depots.

With RM you risk the parcel just being dumped on the doorstep
regardless of any need for a signature and the value of the item.

RM of course ParcelFarce, so no wonder I hate them also.

If you can use DHL, I believe (but I'm not certain) that you can get a
reduced fee as a personal importer who only buys the odd item now and
again from overseas.

--
deadkenny