Also, as you are only streaming MP3, you don't need port 3483 open -
thats used by Softsqueeze and Squeezebox.

Can I make a suggestion?  Irrationally, (or not), hearing that you have
got ports 9000 and 3483 open to the world gives me shivers...
What about using OpenSSH and forwarding those ports? As a network
admin, its possibly something you've come across before anyway.

Have a search on the forums - quite a few posts on how to do it.

I successfully stream my music (and radio stations, including Last.fm)
from home to office over SSH. I connect using both WinAmp and
Softsqueeze.  I can't stream FLAC though - just don't have the
bandwidth, and I don't think my employers would be too pleased either.
I've succesfully streamed music from my PC in the UK to an office in
Colorado, USA before.

As for why SoftSqueeze won't play any FLAC files at all, that sounds
like a file format issue - in the slim web interface, go to Settings ->
File Types.  Check that the FLAC to FLAC format is checked (it should
be, otherwise your Squeezebox probably wouldn't work).

Hope that helps.

--
chris.mason