oreillymj;209647 Wrote:
> Yes startup time. From the time of pushing the power button on the Sansa
> to actually being able to listen to music is about 1 minute or more.
>
> Probably more, it's certainly fa slower than even an iPod coming out of
> standby.
>
> Read through some of the AnythingButiPod forums and you'll discover
> that a FW upgrade to improve the situation was due months ago.
>
> I have an iRiver 1Gb flash player, 8gb Sansa & 80Gb iPod and the Sansa
> is the worst player of the 3.
>
> So, let the buyer beware.

A 1 minute startup time certainly doesn't sound right, but in any case
I would suggest you read the "Rockbox" forum on the AnythingButiPod
site and try sticking Rockbox on your Sansa. As I've said elsewhere -
it has transformed my Sansa e280 into the best portable DAP I have ever
used. Agreed - this is mostly down to Rockbox, but the firmware/UI is
arguably the biggest factor in terms of how good a DAP is and at least
with the Sansa you have the opportunity to improve that aspect. In
terms of hardware the Sansa is a small and beautiful piece of kit with
a very decent battery life (and easily replaceable battery).

In my fairly modest experience of DAPs I've used a 1GB iRiver for 2+
years and my other half has an iPod Nano 2G (which I've used a few
times). Compared to these I would say that the Sansa with Rockbox on it
is head and shoulders above both of them.

--
dSw