brjoon1021;211642 Wrote:
> I am one of those tender consciouses that tries to tow the line if I
> can. So, I was wondering, are the laws for music recorded on CD
> basically such that you can ONLY rip CDs that YOU paid for? I am
> referring to American laws...
>
> For example:
> 1. CDs your friends or family paid for are illegal for you to rip even
> with their permission ?
>
> 2. What about Public Library holdings that you can check out? That
> seems like it might be a gray area as you own it just as much as anyone
> else does. The Public Library as proxy for the Goverment maintains it
> for all of us.
>
> Just wondering... does anyone know the answers to these? It is a shame
> to have to care. The greedy record companies put out so much garbage
> and charge so much for it! It is easy to justify ripping everything
> that can be begged, borrowed or stolen on these grounds, but I feel
> guilty.
>
> B.

At the risk of inciting the masses...

You do not, under U.S. Copyright laws, have a right to keep a copy of a
CD you do not own.  The contention for allowing an MP3 or other copy
made is that it is a "fair use" of a work for which you have been
granted -- through the process of purchase -- a right to use.  In other
words, because you paid for the original, it is reasonable for you to
play it on a device you own, even if that means you have to change the
format.

You can legally loan a CD to a friend, and they can legally listen to
it, but they cannot legally keep a copy (in any format).  This is the
same as a book -- you're free to loan it to someone, and they are
legally entitled to read it but they can't legally photocopy it for
their library.  If you give them the CD as a gift, you're considered to
have transferred the license which means you no longer have a right to
maintain a copy -- that right transfers to your friend along with the
CD.

As far as a public library goes, the above paragraph applies... they
own the CD and are only loaning it to you for a listen.  When you
return the CD, you're returning the rights to the content along with
it.

--
JimC