I've become a fan of Paradigm speakers, and have a pair of Monitor  7
floorstanders that I use with our Squeezebox.  Those are out of that
budget, but I've heard good things about the Atoms and Titans, both
from the Performance line.  They should be $220 or $250 for a pair,
respectively, depending on your local dealer.  The lowest I auditioned
were the Esprits at $450, and probably would've been happy with those
before hearing my uncles Studio 20s.  At any rate, they're a good
budget wise brand IMHO.  I also run a Yammie receiver (RX-V1300) BTW.

For about $430 (perhaps less if you have a generous dealer), the Mini
Monitors would be a nice step up.

--
GlennT