I use a separate disk in my main pc just for music/photo's etc then back
up to an external usb drive.
I built a hard drive into an external usb enclosure, it came from
maplins about £20 as i recall. I comes with sync quick software which
allows you to mirror two different drives or even just individual
folders it can be set up to synch automatically at any time you want.
It does not delete files though and if you delete a file on the source
and forget to delete on the backup the file re-appears on the source
disk. This is ok for me though as i'd rather make sure its me that does
any deleting. I never leave the external disk powered up very long so as
to minimise the chance of virus attacks.

--
Ashy72