Hello,

NEWB here. Received my SB3 last Friday. Nice unit, however…see below….I
am not sure where to post this, so I will start here.

I have intermediate knowledge and skills of all things audio,
computers, and networking. Turns out this is a very good thing. Setting
up the SB3 is definitely not for the novice in any of the above areas. I
was able to set up the SB3 in my system and had music playing in a
couple of hours. To prepare for this new adventure in audio, I have
freshly installed a new NAS for music storage, and a new router. Had
these up and running when the SB3 arrived.

After playing with the setup for a couple of hours, the SB3 suddenly
locks up, freezes. WTF? Messed with it for a while and finally rebooted
everything to get back to normal. This has happened several times over
the weekend, last night being the most recent. I haven’t kept notes but
it seems like it is only when I am connected to Slim Server (and not
Squeeze Network). Last night I listened to music from my NAS server,
then switched to XM Radio. Listened to one channel for a while, then
when I changed channels it locked up. The music kept playing but the
remote and the display was acting very erratic. I had very little
control. After a few minutes I could change channels but the station
info would not update. Same on the SS screen. The XM info would not
update. Don’t know if the all the events are related to XM, but I don’t
think so.

I have searched the Forums and found several threads of this
similarity; i.e., the display freezes and the remote is not functional,
etc. All of those that I found, however, were from around a year ago.
Did those issues get resolved, or just ignored? I remember reading one
poster said, “I just got used to it….”! Well that is not acceptable for
me. With the SB3, new NAS with redundant drives, and a new router, I am
out close to $900! For that money, I expect a little more reliability.

So, what’s the fix? Is this a network issue? Is it a SS issue, or a
firmware issue? I expect a combination of all, especially the last two.
Can someone help with this issue? As I said, I have been reading through
MANY topics on the Forum and in the Community, and it looks like it can
get very complicated to troubleshoot and sort out issues with the SB
and Transporter, etc. I admire all those folks that have elevated
knowledge of these things; they spend literally hours upon hours trying
this and that, posting, answering, and then trying something else. I
don’t know about the rest of you, but I bought my SB3 to play music,
not to spend all day learning to be a hacker and/or programmer. I
really feel sorry for the consumer that has zero knowledge of these
things.

My system consists of the following:

Sony PC with P3 – 1.5, 512 RAM, Windows XP Pro with SP2
D-Link DNS-323 with 2 Seagate 500GB SATA in RAID 1
D-Link DIR-655 Xtreme N Gigabit Router, Hardware Version A1, Firmware
Version 1.02
SlimServer 6.5.3
SB3 Firmware Version 81

When this happens, the only processes going on is SS, and Internet
browser. The router, SB3 connection strength is in the high 90% range.
The SB3 and router are in the same room, about 10 feet apart, both
elevated with no obstructions.

Devices on the network (all have fixed IP address – I thought that
might help so I changed from dynamic assignment):

PC above running SS – Ethernet
NAS – Ethernet
Laptop – Wireless G
SB3 – Wireless G

Being in the same room with the router, I can wire the SB3 to Ethernet,
and that is probably what I will do. However, I want to resolve the
issue that I am having now.

For what it’s worth, I have been on Squeeze Network all day, not ever
connected to Slim Server, and have had zero issues.

Kind regards,

Rick

--
tubes-n-horns