Yes!  Thank you KDF.  Netcat was exactly what I was looking for!

Is there a handy internet acronym for "thank you for figuring out what
I was trying to ask, even though I was too dense to have really thought
the question through..." ?

Anyway, this is now working perfectly for me for triggering a "scan for
new music":

Code:
    echo rescan | nc -w 1 slimsever_ip 9090

Mentioning Netcat in the CLI documentation would be handy for those of
us who grew up in the dos/windows world and have only limited Linux
experience.  As it is, the CLI doc only mentions telnet.

--
gharris999