MrSinatra;232124 Wrote:
> can someone please verify that the way SS works when it organizes music
> from a scan, is that it arranges the albums via the "artist" tag, but
> when it displays the artist name in gallery view, it uses the
> "albumartist" or "band" tag first if available?
It appears to use ALBUMARTIST over ARTIST, when available.

Here's an example from a test I just ran (FLAC files, all tracks tagged
identically on the album):

I had the following album tagged as:

ALBUM=Neck and Neck
ARTIST=Mark Knoplfler
ARTIST=Chet Atkins

then I retagged it:

ALBUM=Neck and Neck
ARTIST=Mark Knoplfler
ARTIST=Chet Atkins
ALBUMARTIST=Mark Knopfler

Tagged the first way, it showed up sorted under Chet Atkins, with the
artist displayed as 'Mark Knopfler, Chet Atkins'.

After retagging, it shows up sorted under Mark Knopfler and the artist
displayed is now just 'Mark Knopfler'.

That's pretty much how I'd want it.  With two artists but no clear
ALBUMARTIST, it's any one's guess which should be used to sort.  I
suppose SlimServer might sort them into order, then use the first one,
or it might be random, or the first one that is read from the file.
The effective ALBUMARTIST is 'Chet Atkins & Mark Knopfler'.  But when
there's an explicit ALBUMARTIST, it's used both for sorting and for the
artist displayed in the album's byline.

> for instance on the billy joel box set, on CD3 there is a track with
> both billy joel and ray charles performing together.
>
> should artist for that track be billy joel, and albumartist be 'billy
> joel / ray charles.'?

Exactly the opposite.  It's a Billy Joel album, so he's the album
aritst, but he and Ray are both artists on the track.

TITLE=...
ARTIST=Billy Joel
ARTIST=Ray Charles
ALBUMARTIST=Billy Joel

> i just switched it to that, to see what SS will do with it now; but b4
> it was reversed, and so SS put the whole CD3 under various artists b/c
> of that.

It might be required that you have an explicit COMPILATION=0 tag to
avoid the album being marked as a compilation.  I'm not sure if that's
doable with MP3s, or only with FLAC/OGG/APE.

--
JJZolx

Jim