i was unclear, mainly because i didn't know you could have 'artist' as a
field in the tag listed twice, as you do.

in my example all through this thread, my fields were like this:

SS sorting it in the WRONG place:

ALBUM=BJ Box Set CD3
ARTIST=Billy Joel/Ray Charles
ALBUMARTIST=Billy Joel

SS sorting it in the RIGHT place:

ALBUM=BJ Box Set CD3
ARTIST=Billy Joel
ALBUMARTIST=Billy Joel/Ray Charles

this is b/c, imo, SS uses comparisons of other tracks in the same
folder via their tpe1 field to determine if its a comp or not.

if SS thinks an album is a comp, (determined by tpe1) then it will put
it under various artists REGARDLESS of what you set tpe2 to.

more below:

JJZolx;232457 Wrote:
> It appears to use ALBUMARTIST over ARTIST, when available.

no, i'll explain why i think u got these results:

JJZolx;232457 Wrote:
> Here's an example from a test I just ran (FLAC files, all tracks tagged
> identically on the album):
>
> I had the following album tagged as:
>
> ALBUM=Neck and Neck
> ARTIST=Mark Knoplfler
> ARTIST=Chet Atkins
>
> then I retagged it:
>
> ALBUM=Neck and Neck
> ARTIST=Mark Knoplfler
> ARTIST=Chet Atkins
> ALBUMARTIST=Mark Knopfler
>
> Tagged the first way, it showed up sorted under Chet Atkins, with the
> artist displayed as 'Mark Knopfler, Chet Atkins'.

i think it sorted under chet, b.c it used the last entry of artist to
sort.  if the last entry had been mark k, i think it would have used
that instead.  SS seems to use the entry a lot, when 'guessing' at what
it should do.

JJZolx;232457 Wrote:
> After retagging, it shows up sorted under Mark Knopfler and the artist
> displayed is now just 'Mark Knopfler'.

maybe thats b/c mark k is now the last artist related entry...  but
either way this situation is somewhat different from what i am
describing.

do any of the files for this CD have differing tpe1 tags?  that takes
precedence.

and do you use compilation tags?

JJZolx;232457 Wrote:
> That's pretty much how I'd want it.  With two artists but no clear
> ALBUMARTIST, it's any one's guess which should be used to sort.  I
> suppose SlimServer might sort them into order, then use the first one,
> or it might be random, or the first one that is read from the file.

as i mentioned, i think its the last entry used.

JJZolx;232457 Wrote:
> The effective ALBUMARTIST is 'Chet Atkins & Mark Knopfler'.  But when
> there's an explicit ALBUMARTIST, it's used both for sorting and for the
> artist displayed in the album's byline.

no doubt that album artist is always used for the byline when presnt,
but as i mentioned, it is NOT always used for sorting.

if it is ever used for sorting, it is only used for sorting when all
the tpe1 fields agree with each other in a given folder.

JJZolx;232457 Wrote:
> Exactly the opposite.  It's a Billy Joel album, so he's the album
> aritst, but he and Ray are both artists on the track.
>
> TITLE=...
> ARTIST=Billy Joel
> ARTIST=Ray Charles
> ALBUMARTIST=Billy Joel

i think i addressed this in both this post, and the previous post.

JJZolx;232457 Wrote:
> It might be required that you have an explicit COMPILATION=0 tag to
> avoid the album being marked as a compilation.  I'm not sure if that's
> doable with MP3s, or only with FLAC/OGG/APE.

i have no idea, and i'd rather get SS to be better, rather than have me
have to manually add yet another field to tags.

thx.

--
MrSinatra

www.LION-Radio.org
Using:
Squeezebox2 w/SS 6.5.5 (beta!?) - Win XP Pro SP2 - 3.2ghz / 2gig ram -
D-Link DIR-655