4mula1 wrote:
> gutted;237084 Wrote:
>> Cool - thanks dude.
>>
>> And this can detect changes to tags, even if I've configured MP3tag to
>> maintain the last modified timestamp?  If so, then it's a winner :)
>
> That I can't answer.  I use it to back up my pictures and wife's itunes
> collection, so I've pretty much relied on it using timestamps.  I run
> SlimServer on Solaris, so I use rsync to do the backups of my music.

According to the documentation, SyncBack uses (can use) the following to
determine if the source and destination files are different.

1. Last file modification date & time: All files record the date & time of when
they were last changed.

2. File size: All files record the number of bytes they contain.

3. Hash value: A unique value can be computed based on the contents of a file.
These values can be used to check if a files contents is the same as another's.

4. File attributes: Files have special attributes, e.g. read-only, hidden,
etc., and SyncBack can optionally check for changes in these attributes

Using the hash value (#3) will obviously take longer, but it should be
completely reliable. I use SyncBack and it's an excellent program all around.