>From what I can read here:

http://www.codeaero.com/music-label/index.html

I suspect that Music Label 2008 does work with tags. At least, the
blurb says, "... It can also scan your drives for digital music files."
which I doubt would make sense unless it could read tags; and if it can
read them, it would be pretty silly not to write them as well. (Hmm!)
In the "tour", it claims to be able to fill in incomplete tag data
(using CDDB), though whether it modifies the original files, or just
squirrels the extra info away in its own DB is not clear.

It looks as though being able to handle "digital music on your PC" is
something of an adjunct to its main purpose, which is to catalogue ALL
your music, whether digitally stored or not. There are hints that only
mp3 is supported, though the blurb might be using "mp3" as a generic.

I think you would have to look deeper into the documentation (there
doesn't seem to be much available without downloading the trial
version) to determine how it interfaces to the player. Can you choose
which audio player it uses? If so, then it's probably generating a
playlist file somewhere then pointing the player at it. (Even so, as
has been pointed out, getting from this to something ready to play in
SlimServer is still a lot of work - not that I've ever tried!)

There are examples of fairly separate tools that can be used to control
SlimServer, e.g. MusicIP (though I've had no end of trouble trying to
get the connection to work in that particular case!) so it's not
entirely impossible that someone could do the same for ML2008.  But I
suspect that it would have to be the designers of ML2008, and they may
not consider this a high priority.

-- Brian

--
Brian Ritchie