That'll work fine.  I'd go with XP rather than Vista.  Vista seems to be
a real pain in the ass, particularly with all the things they've thrown
in for the sake of "security" (read: protecting you from yourself).

If you go with XP Pro instead of XP Home then also you'll have a
built-in remote desktop.  Then you can easily run the machine headless
- with no monitor, mouse or keyboard.  You can install VNC on XP Home,
but XP Pro's remote desktop is a lot nicer.

IMO this spec isn't necessarily overkill, particularly if you'll be
running Windows instead of Linux.  There are very real gains in
responsiveness of both the remote and the web interfaces with faster
hardware.

For a music server, I'd recommend having a separate operating system
hard drive.  Find a 7200 RPM hard drive of the smallest size you can
find, say 40 or 60 GB, then for the music storage get a disk large
enough for your collection, plus a fair amount of room to grow.  I get
about three Flac albums per GB, so that 250 GB disk should hold 700 or
more albums in Flac.

--
JJZolx

Jim