thanks for the feedback.  the 2gb thing keeps coming back.

I'm running my collection (flac) off of a fast 4gb laptop right now.
Unfortunately, my XP laptop was stolen and I'm on vista now.  That was
a kick in the nuts!  I really don't like vista, but I'm aware that I
may need to just do it for the future.  It's different with a windows
based music server though.

I had heard vista takes 2gb.  I didnt know if I could go with a 1 gb XP
set up.  I don't want to make a silly compromise - after all I have some
serious gear at this point and I want good source material.

There has just always been something about buying a new server that
kills me.  I could put that money into new gear or something.  With
respect to the drive for my operating system - i just don't want to put
that much money into it (if i can avoid it)...  I have 100gb of flac and
about 75gb of itunes.  I would be surprised if I accumulate another 50
gb before this computer gets fried.

--
roll - gybe