Alright, I took the advice of this forum to heart, and decided to
properly assess the sound -- by putting on a set of professional
headphones.

That made all the difference. The expansive, dynamic sound I thought
the AE had, comes across as breathy, overly-enhanced, processed, and
with audible compression artifacts on the highs.

The SB3 on the other hand plays clearly and evenly.

I suspect speaker placement and my listening environment (hardwood
floors, lots of windows) might have given me the wrong impression of
the AE sound.  Headphones reveal the truth.

Thanks again for everyone's input.  It's a keeper.  One day I'll get a
proper DAC, but this will have to do for now with a baby on the way.

--
minstrel