minstrel;244616 Wrote:
> Alright, I took the advice of this forum to heart, and decided to
> properly assess the sound -- by putting on a set of professional
> headphones.
>
> That made all the difference. The expansive, dynamic sound I thought
> the AE had, comes across as breathy, overly-enhanced, processed, and
> with audible compression artifacts on the highs.
>
> The SB3 on the other hand plays clearly and evenly.
>
> I suspect speaker placement and my listening environment (hardwood
> floors, lots of windows) might have given me the wrong impression of
> the AE sound.  Headphones reveal the truth.
>
> Thanks again for everyone's input.  It's a keeper.  One day I'll get a
> proper DAC, but this will have to do for now with a baby on the way.

I find this interesting.  I'm not surprised that the Airport Express is
tinkering with the sound more than the SB3, and I'm also not surprised
that on a superficial listening, with a lossy source like Internet
radio, that it sounded better.  I'm not even going to be too critical
here--for its market it's probably well-positioned and engineered.

Interestingly, the SB and my receiver (Denon AVR3805) actually have the
same DACs, so I notice very little difference between analog and digital
inputs.  Just a great clean sound that's blown away any CD player I've
owned (not being an audiophile.)

--
mrfantasy

--Mike