One of the Slim Devices techs actually made a bug fix that was
incorporated into the subsequent firmware upgrade, which allowed for
multiple brightness settings.  But the problem still occurred for me.
I think that sometimes the Slim Devices servers send out a signal,
that's how it was explained by Slim Devices about last January.

The issue with the phone interference is independent of DSL/cable
internet, or brand of cordless phone, or brand of phone line filters.
Been there done that - it's something I live with.  I'm not even
looking for a fix at this point.

Bottom line: the display set to 0 brightness comes on if the phone
rings, and the stream is interrupted if I make or receive a call.  It's
not set up in a way that's not intended, so don't say "there's something
wrong with my setup" because nothing's wrong - other than these quirks
my setup works fine.

--
NauticusLX