I am struggling with making Slimserver (SS) read my music directory
(\\Hs-dhgld74\Buffalo\Music Safe) without using i-tunes.  Using the
i-tunes has worked ok but its cumbersome because my the i-tunes library
where I do most of my tagging work (“Office”) is not on the same
computer that hosts SS (“Kitchen”);  This is because I have the kitchen
on 24x7 and I prefer not to use Office’s resources to run the server.
But it means that whenever I want changes to be reflected on slimserver
I need to go through a two step process of updating the itunes library
on Kitchen and then rescanning the library on slimserver (and usually
this requires a complete rescan).

It would seem much more efficient have SS read my music directly
(scheduled nightly), and I could logically edit tags using Office’s
Itunes or some third party tag editor.  But when I have tried to set
this up I have found that SS does not create its own library very well.
Music is disjointed and incomplete; art tags that were there now don’t
show up, and music takes forever to load or causes the SS to stop.

For example, using SS to generate its own library and bypassing I-tunes
causes only two Michele Shocked songs from Arkansas Traveler to display
(showing as if they were in two separate albums) and the artwork is
corrupt.  But when I am using the i-tunes library, art is fine and all
songs display just fine under a single album.

I would appreciate and tips for making SS work independently of
I-tunes; it seems counter intuitive that SS would work better with
i-tunes libraries than a situation where it is not reliant on any other
software client, but this seems to be the case.
Below is the SS version information, any thoughts or best practices
would be appreciated.

SlimServer Version: 6.5.2 - 11743 - Windows XP - EN - cp1252
Perl Version: 5.8.8 MSWin32-x86-multi-thread
MySQL Version: 5.0.22-community-nt

-Jac

--
jacabo