Assuming that there's nothing unusual about your network setup, which
sounds like it is an XP PC or Music server connected to a wireless
router and then wirelessly again to the SB, deinstall the virtual
servers - you don't need them and they may be causing some of the
networking problems.

My first guess would have been the same as yours, that you already have
another program listening on port 9000 - WMP11 has been known to on
occasion - may be worth opening that up if you have it installed and
running TCPview again, just to be sure.

Assuming that's fine, there are two points where the signal is most
likely be getting stuck, either the router isn't letting the signal in
from the SB, or the server pc isn't letting it in from the router.
Given that it sometimes seems to work for you, my bet is on the server
PC.

First, double check the basics - check the ports you've put in as
exceptions in Windows firewall are the right ones - you should have
3483 tcp and udp as well as 9000 tcp.  The scope for all three ports
should be "my network subnet" (again, assuming there's nothing too
unusual about your network setup).  Open up the web interface, go to
Server Settings, Network and check the connection port for Slimserver
is set to 9000.  Then go to Server Settings, Security - Is block
incoming connections set to "do not block" - you may as well change
CSRF Protection to None for good measure.

At each stage, check whether you can connect and in my experience, it's
a good idea to go back a couple of steps in the SB set up networking
process then try to reconnect, than just keep clicking right to try and
connect.  If you're messing around with the network settings, reboot the
server before you try and reconnect.

Check you have completely deinstalled McAfee - run a registry cleaner
(I like and would recommend CCleaner) to get rid of any lingering
traces.

One other thing you could try is adding an exception to Windows
firewall for "slim.exe" [which can be found in the Slimserver program
directory] and then trying to connect.

Finally, go into your router admin page, and check that you haven't
activated any features which might interfere Slimserver's connection -
things like "QoS" which prioritises certain types of server traffic, or
any speedboost functions.  If you have, switch them off, reboot the
router and the server and try to reconnect again.

Finally, I should mention there was someone who posted on here a while
back who had a similar issue which was also related to running McAfee
and some other kind of network utility.  He managed to fix it by
totally uninstalling McAfee (including cleaning up the registry and
temp files) and then uninstalling Slimserver in the same way.  If you
can bear it, might be worth considering as an option of last resort.

The other thing we might have you try - but not yet - is to assign
static IP addresses to the SB and the Server.  That seems to work
better for a lot of people than using DCHP.

Let us know how you get on, or any other details which may help pin
this down.  Apologies if any of the above is grandmother sucking eggs,
but I had a very similar problem when I installed a new router a few
years back.  After two days of failing to connnect, I was ready to
throw the bloody thing out the window.  And then I noticed I'd left
"Block Incoming Connections on" in Slimserver and the SB had acquired a
different IP address through the new router install so wasn't on an
"allowed" address any more....ho hum...so hang in, you'll get there.

--
Siduhe