I've had a similar experience, new neigbours moving in.
And some network interference occured. I used netstumbler saw 7 other
networks, me and 2 others nearby routers were on channel 11. 3 people
on the same channel can be to much. The other strong signals where on
1, weaker signals on other ch, but nobody was using ch6 so i changed to
ch6.

The ideal is to get 5ch distance between you and the others, hence
others suggestion to try ch1, 6 and 11. You set this in the router you
don't have to do anything with SB or slimserver.
My new neigbours are students and members of http://www.fon.com/en/ and
are actually sharing their wifi with others ! I once found 3 fon user at
the same time in my house ?

With wifi anything can happen. Strange coincidents are more common than
one might think, I installed 6.5.4 excactly the same day as my problems
started, Guess what i thougt was wrong ?

--
Mnyb