mvalera;254731 Wrote:
> The Squeezebox Controller at $299.99 is a great value.
>
> It's a mini linux computer with an ARM processor, built in WiFi, a
> Wolfson DAC (same as the receiver), an IR emitter, a headphone jack,
> and a SD slot.

Before the announcements I had actually imagined the price to be
reversed so the Squeezebox Controller would go around $149 and the
Squeezebox Receiver for $299.

But now when I think about it, it's really the Controller that has the
huge potential. The old SqueezeBox 3 got huge potential because it got
a big display which resulted in all sorts of third party plugins that
used the display for all kinds of information.

The SqueezeBox Receiver doesn't have this potential due to the missing
display.

The SqueezeBox Controller does have this potential and on top of that
it allows third party developers to develop stuff that will execute
directly on the Controller itself. This opens it up for things like
games and other kind of stuff which has never been possible on the
SqueezeBox 3.
However, the real potential of the SqueezeBox Controller IMHO is the SD
slot and the headphone jack. The headphone jack is obviously going to be
enabled, it's just a matter of time, when this happens you will have a
portable SqueezeBox which can be used to listen to music from anywhere
where you have WiFi access.

It might sound a bit strange, but what I'm already waiting for is the
second edition of the SqueezeBox Controller. I'm imagining this will
have a touch screen and the same format as an iPod.

For users that don't already own a SqueezeBox3, the SqueezeBox Duet
looks like a good deal at $399. For people that already owns a
SqueezeBox and just wants a graphical remote, I agree with some people
in this thread that thinks it is a bit overpriced as a graphical
remote. I think the problem is to get people to think of the Controller
as more than a remote control.

I think the main alternative for people that just likes a graphical
remote is going to be the iPod Touch, which is priced exactly the same
(8GB version) and also works as a portable device already now. The
hardware of the iPod Touch is IMHO a lot nicer than the hardware of the
Jive Hardware Beta prototype, although I obviously haven't had the
chance to compare it with the real SqueezeBox Controller yet. The
problem with the iPod Touch is that it currently doesn't allow third
party development and it will never be open sourced in the same way as
the SqueezeBox Controller.

--
erland

Erland Isaksson
'My homepage' (http://erland.homeip.net) 'My download page'
(http://erland.homeip.net/download)
Custom Scan,  Custom Skip, Multi Library and Database Query plugins'
(http://wiki.erland.homeip.net/index.php/Category:SlimServer))