> You'd be surprised! Given the pace of development, platforms change at
> an incredible rate, every six months is not unusual and libraries and
> components change at an equally astonishing rate at times as vendors
> move in and out of favour. Most devices are based on a limited number
> of RTOS and there are definite attempts to standardise on platforms,
> but it's also in the interests of platform providers to get customers
> to move onto the latest and greatest, so they don't last for that
> long.

I agree - it may not be worthwhile spending much time optimising rather
than spend some development effort on a new faster SBC.

Overall, given that certain design decisions were made such as using
LUA and using Linux rather than an RTOS - Jive was not going to be
always used in an embedded system. It seems to me that SBC is not just
the first release but also the first embodiment of an extension to the
Squeezebox/Squeezecenter architecture.

Separating display and control from audio player means there is
possibility not only of SBC ported to other platforms but also possibly
integrated units with interesting display possibilities (e.g. HDMI)
and/or simple IR/Bluetooth "keyboard" remotes.  The limitation will be
deciding what will sell and what will give competitive advantage/unique
selling point.

--
bpa