I'm going to "speculate" here, but a Plugin can be implemented to use
the Scroll Wheel and Menus in the Controller and the IR port can be
programmed to send "receiver specific" codes.

Something in the controller's menu like:

Select Receiver
-------------- Select On -> Click OK
-------------- Select Off-> Click OK
-------------- Select Volume
-------------------- Select Up -> Move Wheel to the right
-------------------- Select Down -> Move Wheel to the left

I asked in another thread if SD could get hold of the database of IR
codes for receivers that are used by Logitech to program their
universal remotes, but I was told that this was "iffy". If plugin
developers were given access to these codes (which might be propertary)
and "assuming" that the Controller supports these specific IR codes,
then the Controller could be made into a "simple" receiver remote. Not
as efficient as a "Universal" remote with its dedicated plethora of
buttons, but at least will spare us from having two pick up two remotes
to listen to our music.

--
tamanaco