Greg, I am a pro audio installer based on Vancouver island and I have a
few suggestions, but first a basic question: Are you planning to hire a
pro for the wiring job? If so, they should be able to provide you sound
advice. Your best bet is someone who deals in both the installation and
the equipment. You should find that a good shop will take some time to
visit your house at no charge in order to earn your business.

a few comments: "An amp with tuner (we like to listen to local radio)
will be discretely placed nearby"

- note that most local radio is also streamed on the internet and
therefore available on your SB

"am I correct to assume that the speakers will sound better if they are
mounted on the side of the bulkhead in similar orientation to an in wall
speaker so that the speaker are pointing out horizontally, rather than
vertically downward? I hope I am making myself clear."

If I understand you correctly I think you are going with exterior
speakers that mount to the wall rather than in-wall, and I think this
is a great choice. If you are thinking about flush mount then I'll
comment that both orientations can sound quite good, but given a choice
I recommend in-wall installation rather than in ceiling. In any case it
is extremely important that the speaker has an air cavity to operate
in, so you need to stay away from exterior walls where the insulation
will dampen the sound.

"I am thinking of a budget of $200-300 for these speakers. Perhps about
the same for the amp/tuner Any suggestions? I am in Canada. Winnipeg to
be exact."

I generally steer customers towards Paradigm (a fine Canadian brand)
and so far they are quite delighted with the results. Your budget is
reasonable, go visit a local dealer.

"In the future, as our budget allows, we would like to place some
speakers in the living room, driven by the amp/tuner in the kitchen.
Although we won't get then now, I would like suggestions about
placement for pre-wiring."

There is no simple answer looking at your diagram. Where do you sit in
the living room? Do you want full sound at the dining room table? Do
you want independent and local control of the volume in this room? Is
there attic or crawlspace access to run wires over or under this room?
The decision on where to place speakers (and how many) will depend on
the answers to these questions.

"Last, we don't have a fancy TV or surround sound audio, but I would
like to pre-wire the family room for this. Comments on speaker
placement are welcome. I don't think I will purchase/install any "in
wall" or "in ceiling" speakers, but merely place wires for future
speakers."

Make a decision on where the display will be located and where the
equipment that feeds it will be. If the equipment is located near the
display then you only need to wire for the back speakers.

Good luck, and don't be afraid to ask a pro to come visit!

Brian

--
friendlyfire