grego.speiser,

One thing you might want to check into is an amp by Russound,
specifically the R235LS. It has line level inputs so that you can run
the SB outputs right into it and then not have to have the tuner/amp on
if you are still going to have one. and If you must have a tuner/amp
then it will also accept speaker level inputs to pass the amp signal
through to the speakers. BTW the amp turns itself on when audio is
present at the audio inputs and then has a delay circuit to turn the
amp off after a specified period of time after the audio input has
stopped.

I have set up my kitchen with and inwall SB3 (custom mounting plate)
and mounted the amp to the ceiling in the basement. I have a Mini iTX
computer running SS in my main stereo rack. In my case i did not have a
wall to put the speakers in so they went in the ceiling. Before the
remodel the speakers had been in the wall, mounted about 6 feet(2
meters) off the floor. The sound is only slightly more directional with
them mounted in the ceiling. But then again what do you do in the
kitchen? "Work." With the other sounds that are in the room when you
are in there this is basically background music.

Question. Does the opening from the kitchen to the dining room go all
the way to the ceiling. If not you would be better off putting the
speakers in the wall above the opening as opposed to  in the bulk head.
The reason for this is that the in-wall speakers are designed for a
relatively small cavity. If mounted in the bulkhead there would be a
very large cavity and they may not sound so good.

All the other posts here also have some very good suggestions as well.
Just make sure you over wire the house now because it is very difficult
to run wires later. Oh one thing you might want to think about is
putting in some sort of a chase or pipe fromteh basement to the attic
space as if there ever is the need to put extra wiring in then that is
the easiest way to get it to the second floor.

If you need any other help on placement of items feel free to ask.

Schatzy

--
schatzy

Kitchen - SB3 - Russound R235LS Amp - Russound SP-M8IM speakers in
ceiling
Main Stereo - SB3 - Nikko Beta 30 Preamp - Nikko Alpha 230 Amplifier -
Genesis VI Speakers