DennyL;260091 Wrote:
> I hope you are right. I agree that one can stay with one's hardware and
> current version of Slimserver, and I might do that. Microsoft has a
> record of being dishonest and ruthless in manipulating products to
> maximise its profits, and I fear that Slimserver, in a future of
> repidly diminishing CD sales and increasing downloading, would be a
> powerful tool to bring us all into the sort of digital rights
> management environment that the corporates dream of.

I think paranoia is taking over a bit TBH.  MS are no better/worse than
any other business in my working experience.  Most will do what they
want to get where they want to be; MS just happens to be huge so comes
under more public scrutiny and it seems to be the thing to criticise
them.  For me personally I have no beef, I have 3 machines at home that
all hum along nicely and all do what they should reliably.  In work
(both within and without IT) I have to use their products through
popular demand and generally have no issues.  That's a whole other
story though.

As far as DRM, even if they somehow maniplated things so that every
piece of music from now till doomsday had some form of DRM applied, I
still have >1000 CDs in my loft with none; I seriously doubt they'll
'fix' things so that all CDs ever previously produced won't play on
their hardware/software.

As a consumer I have a choice whether to buy music under the evil RIAA
umbrella or independent music, and again I seriously doubt MS would
change things to such an extent that a non-DRM WAV file is unplayable.
Millions of previous recordings, mobile ring-tones, personal diary audio
blogs, whatever suddenyl unplayable - don't see it myself.

--
Rangdo

GRONDA GRONDA

SB3 [Stereovox XV2] > Benchmark DAC1 [NVA Soundpipe] > Bel Canto S300iu
[Chord Rumour 4] > MA GR20