pnielsen;260598 Wrote:
> Yes, and this is not a good thing. This amp forces you to control the
> volume in the digital domain, and as a result signal resolution is lost
> at lower playback levels than maximum level.
>
> If the amp is inexpensive, why not. However, the "true digital" feature
> of this amp is really not worth a penny extra, because of the fact that
> you still have to control the volume in the digital domain... (A good
> true digital amp would take full level digital input and have some
> innovative feature for controlling the volume that preserves the full
> signal resolution to the DAC or PWM. TacT Millennium and other TacT
> amps do this, for example).
>
> Don't buy the digital claim of this amp. A good conventional amplifier
> with analog volume control and built in (or external)  DAC will sound
> better any day...
>
> Peter.

I'd be more concerned about the anemic wattage this has to offer and
the fact that it resamples Squeezebox audio to 48kHz.  I think most
users actually want to be able to control the volume via the Squeezebox
(remote).  I do agree that resolution is lost at lower volumes though,
as I experience this now with an old Onkyo analog amp.  I am forced to
leave the volume on the Onkyo set at a static level so I can control
the volume with the Squeezebox, and it's at lower volumes that the loss
is more noticeable.

--
EnochLight