I suppose that I have been using the Squeezeboxen long enough that I am
used to the remote interface.  However, I do remember making the same
"mistake" numerous times in the early days (hitting play and clearing
out a playlist that I had spent a bunch of time putting together).

I agree with the OP that this action is not very intuitive from a user
interface design perspective.  Intuitively, who is going to think that
"play" is really "clear current playlist and play," before either
reading the manual or learning through error?  Perhaps it would have
been better to map "play" to something non-destructive, like "add as
next song to playlist, if already playing then continue, if not already
playing then play it."  "+" could be "add to end of playlist" and
"holding +" could be "clear current playlist and play."

There are probably even better alternatives.  My basic point is that
the novice is almost guaranteed to hit play before he knows what he is
doing.

--
jeffmeh