maggior;269755 Wrote:
> I think it is interesting that you bring up the iPod as an example of a
> non-geek product that everybody can use.  When I bought my iPod, I was
> taken back when the salesperson informed me of a class that the store
> sponsored to help people get their CDs into iTunes, get their tunes
> onto their iPod, and then use their iPod.  A friend of mine's wife, who
> is an intelligent person, gave up on using an iPod.
>
> My point is that even the iPod, which is held in such high regard for
> its usability, isn't grasped easily by some.  I wonder how many iPods
> sit idle in the homes of people that were never able to figure out
> really how to use them.  There are probably a lot more than you would
> think.
>
> So, if the SB becomes anywhere near as ubiquitous as the iPod, I think
> there would be a need for techies to assist people set up their SBs.
>
> The idea put forth is interesting.  I'm not sure that a certifcation
> would be necessary, but some sort of qualifications would be necessary.
> It's not as simple as just knowing networking, you have to know and
> understand CD ripping, transcoding, tagging, etc.
>
> People regularly call in the Geek Squad (techies for hire from Best Buy
> here in the US) to set up their wireless networks and stuff.  Why not
> the SB squad? :-).
>
> If Logitech starts selling these in many large retail stores, perhaps
> it would be good to have knowledgable local users on hand to help with
> advice and/or offer services to set up and configure the devices.
> Maybe these users would be from a Logitech sponsored user's club or
> something.
>
> This is a really good discussion.  It's very interesting to read
> everybody's viewpoints on this.

Points well made. Unfortunately, nothing personal, but i do completely
disagree :)

Firstly, i people want the Geek Squad to come to their house, fair
enough - there is obviously a market for them (they are in the UK now
too, at least the name is). But specifically for SB's?

Secondly, iPod's are different in that they are stand alone items that
all basically all the same. SB's on the other hand are integrated into
another system, you home network, which is different for each person.
Would that sales person have said "we have a class learning to use
SB's, we will also come around your house and configure your flaky
network"? Ipod Vs SB - neither is more complicated than the other, it
is all about the networking. It's only a sales ploy anyway. That's why,
in my opinion, having a geek squad is a good idea, a 'squeezebox
certificate' is not (amounts other reasons).

Finding qualified and experienced personal is all well and good, but
thats what the Yellow Pages are for (or whatever they call them in the
US).

--
autopilot

SLIMSERVER:[/B] 7.0 APLHA (WINDOWS XP) + ALIENBBC, SLIMSCROBBLER &
LAST.FM.
*AMP:* CAMBRIDGE AUDIO 640A (LIVING ROOM) / DENON MD30 (BEDROOM).
*SPEAKERS:* MISSION 701'S (LIVING ROOM) / KEF CRESTA 1'S (BEDROOM).
*REMOTE:* T-MOBILE MDA VARIO / HARMONY 525 (IR) / *BETA TESTING SB DUET
X 2
[B]Clients:* 1 Squeezebox 3 + Softsqueeze + Squeezebox Receiver.

'LAST.FM' (http://www.last.fm/user/domrevans/)