ralphpnj;271855 Wrote:
> I don't think that I'm not "the visual type of guy", it's just that I'm
> more of jazz fan than anything else and in the world of jazz it's
> things like personnel and recording dates that are truly important and
> not the tiny little cover art. Except of course for those Miles Davis
> album like "Bitches Brew" and "Live Evil".
and I always thought it's all about the music... ;-)

ralphpnj;271855 Wrote:
> As for your reference to using the remote to navigate through
> artist/album/genre/year/etc - yes it works but in a very crude way. For
> example say that you're listening to a recording by one artist and you
> navigate to that artist's album listing and one of the albums on that
> list is a recording featuring various artists. Well when you select
> that recording you only get the track on which that artist appears and
> no the entire recording.
Just two more clicks and you have the whole album list (track details -
album).
ralphpnj;271855 Wrote:
> Or say that you're listen to an recording by "Prince and the Revolution"
> and you want to go an recording by "Prince" (without "the Revolution"),
> it's just not possible.
Add "Prince" as albumartist. You can then browse from albumartist just
like you would from artist.
ralphpnj;271855 Wrote:
> Or you're listening to a Keith Jarrett Trio recording and you want to
> find out who is in the trio and maybe navigate to a recording on which
> one of the other members of the trio also appears, again not possible.
> And I haven't even touched on how useless most of these navigation
> features are when it comes to classical music.
If you add artist tags for each member of the group you will be able to
navigate the way you want. Add "Keith Jarret Trio" as albumartist. It's
not the perfect solution as the album will be listed as "<album> by
Keith Jarret,<artist2>, <artist3>".

Also check out Erland's plugins like CustomScan and CustomBrowse if you
want Slimserver to be more flexible.
http://wiki.erland.homeip.net/index.php/Category:SlimServer
ralphpnj;271855 Wrote:
> As for the comment tag, again useful for information but not for further
> navigation. I guess what I'm trying to say is that I'd like something
> that:
>
> 1) gives me complete information about the recording and not just a
> tiny picture
>
> 2) enables me to explore my music library much the same that I have in
> the past - going from one recording to another recording related to the
> first in some way, be it by personnel, recording date, producer,
> composer, etc.
Don't get me wrong, I think most what you want would be a very welcome
enhancement.
I don't think this will become reality in the near or not so near
future. I've got the impression that these things are not very high on
Slimdevices/Logitech's prioritiy list.
I just try to give you some hints on what can be done with what's at
hand today.
ralphpnj;271855 Wrote:
> And here's something that I almost forgot. What about all the recordings
> in one's music library with no official "cover" art, such as that
> Grateful Dead concert from 1972, that Dylan bootleg from 1987 or a live
> show downloaded from archive.org?
A silly idea, but I post it anyway:
Create an image yourself with all the text information you want to
see.

-s.

--
slimpy