On 22/02/2008, Peter <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>  On Thu, 21 Feb 2008 15:21:47 -0800, "seanadams"
>  <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> said:
>  >
>  > Peter;271683 Wrote:
>  > >
>  > > As a business it's not a bad thing. You just store everything you ever
>  > >
>  > > ripped on a big RAID system and the next time someone comes and gives
>  > > you Hotel California you just  hand 'm the pre-ripped copy. Money easy
>  > >
>  > > made. The more customers you get the less you do...
>  > >
>  >
>  > Actually, none of the ripping operations are allowed to do this because
>  > of a precedent set by a record industry lawsuit against a tape dubbing
>  > company some 20 years ago. You have to rip _the customer's_ CD to make
>  > a copy for him, even if you've ripped it a million times before.  Sorry
>  > I can't find a reference - maybe someone else remembers the name of the
>  > company.
>

> Ah, so you looked into this... For the US, that may be the case, but the
>  world's (thankfully) bigger than that. Still I can imagine you wouldn't
>  want the record company lawyers on you back.

In Denmark at least one ripping service has temporarily stopped its
service. It seems that companies are not allowed to rip their
customer's music.

And if I ordered a rip of my CD's I would insist that my CD's were
actually ripped. I don't want other people's old bits to fill up my
harddrive.

/grydholt