Phil, with all due respect, I have to disagree with your first sentence,
while agreeing with your second.  When 'Track gain' is selected for
volume adjustment, SlimServer/SqueezeCenter DOES 'scale' the audio
samples, thereby destroying the integrity of the DTS code stream.
There was some discussion last year about SS being made smarter by
recognising DTS bit-streams and disabling gain adjustments for those
tracks.  It was suggested that the developers would aim for this in
Rev. 7, but this clearly hasn't happened (I installed SqueezeCenter 7
yesterday and tested it today, and I still get white noise when volume
adjustment is enabled for a DTS track.  Disabling volume adjustment
['none'] allows DTS FLAC files to play perfectly through the
Squeezebox's Toslink o/p).

agentsmith, the new server (SqueezeCenter) has improved speed in only
one or two respects, but is still a dog in most others.  While loading
a moderate sized playlist still takes minutes, it seems to allow you to
start playing (the first track at least) before the full list has loaded
into the web interface.  And converting it from sequential to shuffled
now takes only seconds before play can start.

Marc, now that SqueezeCenter is faster at shuffling (or at least
allowing you to start playing before it's finished), the need to use
Random Play is diminished.  I had a look for Erland's SqlPlayList
plugin, but his download page doesn't include that plug-in.  I'll have
a further look when I get more time.

Another area where SS/SC is abysmally slow, that I forgot to mention in
my original post, is (re)scanning the music library.  SS was
particularly finicky about broken playlist links, so every time I
added, deleted or renamed tracks, I needed to rescan the library.  This
takes well over half an hour, during which I must suffer in silence :-(
I'm hoping SC won't be so touchy about broken links, and will just do
what any intelligent s/w does, and skip the 'missing' track.

Which brings me to a related question.  I create my own playlists
outside of SS/SC, using a batch file and a few programs I've written
(takes ~24 seconds to create the 'everything' playlist and then derive
the artist and other playlists from it).  I don't understand why SC
needs to 'scan' anything.  Why couldn't I just navigate to a ready-made
playlist and say 'play this', and off it goes (just like Spider or other
players)?
Perhaps I'm missing something, and SS/SC was created for a completely
different purpose from what I expect it to do (just play my music,
anytime, without delay).  I guess what I want is Spider Player with a
Squeezebox driver! :-)
I must say it's been a great disappointment to me that SS/SC doesn't
handle external playlists well - SS wouldn't even display artist/title
information from an extended M3U playlist!  I've yet to test SC for
this.  Playlists seem such a powerful/flexible way to organise and
manage what you want to hear.  And if SC handled them properly, I
wouldn't have to bother editing my 15,000 tracks to add artist/title
tags - a task I don't look forward to!
Daniel

--
DanielTheGreat