Same problem here. My Duet system is terribly flaky. Here are some of
the problems:

- The controller frequently decides that it can't get a DHCP lease, so
it spontaneously assigns itself a 169.x.x.x address. My home wifi
network is pretty good and no other device has this problem.

- If the controller can get a real lease, it often loses connectivity
with the SB. Sometimes it blames the SB, saying that the SB can't
connect to the SC server. However, that's false; not only is the SB
connected by wired Ethernet to the SC, but I can fire up SC from a web
browser and happily control the SB from it, at the very same moment
that the controller insists that the SB can't communicate with the SC.

- Like yours, my controller always thinks it needs a software update.
Unfortunately, it is rarely able to get past the "Copying Update"
phase. Most of the time it just hangs there (sometimes displaying the
"Try Again..." option faintly in the background), sometimes it starts
displaying the x% indicator that advances a percentage point every few
seconds, but it almost never reaches 100%, and even if it does, it's a
Sisyphean victory, because after the update it still thinks it needs an
update.

- Menu operations randomly hang or come up blank.

- Browsing the library is sometimes quite quick but often astonishingly
slow, as in minutes before the next screen appears.

- Extra data point: the controller frequently says that it's dropped
down to a 2MB or 1MB transfer rate on the 802.11g connection, even when
I've placed the controller right next to my AP.

- Extra data point: if I ping the wired SB, travel time is
sub-millisecond. But the controller's ping times are spiky, often in
the high hundreds of milliseconds.

- Extra data point: ssh'ing to the controller sometimes takes many
minutes (or forever) to negotiate the SSH handshake.

My diagnosis is that the remote has trouble with wireless. I don't know
whether this is a design defect, a sample defect, or a fixable software
problem. I'd consider doing an A/B test at someone else's house to see
whether it's a problem with my network, but to be honest I bought this
system as a consumer electronics purchase. I didn't intend for it to
turn into an exciting hobby; I just wanted a turnkey system that would
let me listen to music in different rooms in my house.

--
fireupthegrill