Mnyb;284256 Wrote:
> There is an incredible simple interime fix for this, reopen the online
> store for non US people for spares/repair only until logitechs
> international retails is up to it. It will take i bit longer to mail
> things to and from the US but thats better than nothing.

That would be a temporary patch on the wounds,should things need
replacement. However, in a lot of countries, it is mandatory to have a
"consumer drop in" service centre (typically the store you bought the
goods). It seems to me a bit strange that logitech with a global reach,
is not able to support (technical, with testing and repairs) the
Squeezebox/Transporter units. Surely the hardware is not so complicated
that a spot and replace of the faulty prt can only be done in a single
location in the world...

For what it's worth, I have been waiting on a power supply that has
been promised to me since January... I am now at the stage that my
follow up mails are left unanswered... Now I understand that the folk
have to follow corporate procedures, and please don't take this as an
attack on any individual (so far, my experiences with both Logitech and
Slim Devices have been great - companies consists of people, not global
brands), but it does indicate to me that there is a lot to do. IMHO,
after 1.5 years with Logitech, this would be a high priority (try
getting decent sales distribution channels set up in countries, if this
is the answer to the support question... :)

As from original topic, software support... There is always opportunity
in improving support. One thing that Logitech has with this platform, is
a whole army of individuals who gladly donate some of their time helping
with the troubleshooting of the issue. I would assume that any forum
posts get escalated to support somehow (link in support log site to the
forum post?). In that case, things could be escalated sooner, if certain
steps have already been taken... And a last point on Software Support -
It is pretty uncommon to support so many platforms. Windows should be
relatively straight forward, as there are only so many flavours around
(of which less are currently in the support lifecycle from Microsoft,
which is a good standard for Logitech to monitor support for that
platform - and no, I do not agree that all Windows support techs have
to say is a fresh install. Windows did go through a massive maturity
cycle). However, how many Linux distro's are there? Do they all pack
the same dependencies? Do they all use the same packaging mechanism?
Especially if you are forced to "make" (forgive me, it has been 6 years
ago I last did anything with Linux) the files, then how would you know
of dependencies? IMHO simply too many variables to deal with in
support... In such case, I would be happy if a vendor like Logitech is
committed to providing this support at all.

--
matthijskoopmans

LinkedIn: http://www.linkedin.com/in/mattkoop
LastFM: http://www.last.fm/user/matthijskoopmans/