amey01 wrote:
bpa;287110 Wrote:
SC lets you choose - Apple does not. Why won't Apple support Flac  or
WMA Lossless ?

On the Audiophile forum there are a group of users who insist that
server decoder Flac sounds better than SB decoded Flac.
Why is it necessary to have ALAC decoder in the SB ? The decoders
required in the SB are the formats that are streamed (e.g. MP3, WMA,
Ogg-Vorbis and possibly AACplus) so that a PC is not necessary.
To provide efficient bandwidth use - a lossless compress format is
needed - hence Flac as Alac and WMA lossles are proprietary.

Makes perfect sense.
The only reason I suggested ALAC in the SB was because of the alac.exe
issue (30 seconds to skip between tracks), but with the new alac.exe
the issue is fixed and all is well!

If transcoding works well enough it's probably not an issue (I don't have any ALAC files myself). Thing is that if I advise a friend with a large collection of CD's to go digital it's nice to be able to tell him to just use XXX format and have it play on his iPod as well as his slimsystem.

Regards,
Peter