The sort problem that people are complaining about is when they set an album
artist tag, and that artist doesn't exist as a main/leading song contributor
elsewhere, so SqueezeCenter scanner doesn't find any ARTISTSORT tag.

It seems to me as if it would be possible for the scanner to support another
TXXX custom tag for ID3 called ALBUMARTISTSORT.  This is totally bespoke; it's
unlikely to be supported by any other software/mp3 player.  I see no harm with
that, other than the scanner may be slower as it has another tag to detect.

The scanner could perhaps detect any TXXX tag with a name in the format
<tagname>SORT, such as BANDSORT, TPE2SORT, etc, and set the contributor sort
accordingly.

Other file formats may define standards for sort tags.  If so, the scanner
should support those too.

An alternative "fix" may be to create a plugin that corrects the content of the
contributor table as a post-scan action.  A separate mapping of artist names to
artist sort names could be retrieved from somewhere (eg xml file, text file,
Squeezecenter wiki page, etc), and the plugin would read this content and
update the contributor table for any matching artist name.

Phil