I've also spotted in the documentation that several 'many-to-many'
tables are created and maintained. These are an enormous I/O overhead
and, if they are not indexed, will give exactly the performance log-jam
we are experiencing.

Basically, the bigger the library, the longer each operation will take
as the program has to do a table-scan every time.

I would strongly suggest removing the 'many-to-many' tables and all the
associated creation and maintenance and applying indexes to the main
tables. Then MySQL can take care of I/O in a far more efficient and
much faster way.

Try running an EXPLAIN on some of the SQL statements before and after
Indexing. You should see a HUGE difference.

--
larrettp