Well, I've had a look at that Wiki as well and I still see the
'Many-to-Many' tables in there. The problem with these is that they
have to be created and maintained, which takes time and slows down the
scanning process. Also, when they are being read, they are very
inefficient as they will be doing table scans and the larger the
database, the longer it takes - exponentially!

By removing these and replacing them with indexes on the main tables,
the creation I-O will, almost certainly, be reduced during scanning and
the access paths will be vastly improved and oblivious to the size of
the database.

Again, I would strongly suggest creating a clone of the database,
remove the 'Many-to-Many' tables. Create the Indexes and run an EXPLAIN
of the SQL against the old and new databases. The difference should be
obvious.

--
larrettp