Mnyb wrote:
> Interesting responses, some of you must be in to encryption and such ?
> this has gone very off topic but interesting.

Yes, way OT.

> On the same tangent, the SBC has a limited charset, so all phassprases
> are not possible to type with the controller, the same applies to the
> SB

Which in the grand scheme of things is not terribly important. And
inside the SqueezeBox is just a commodity WiFi card, so there are hidden
  weak links in the chain, if you are NSA class paranoid.

To secure music, its not really an issue.

> How do you check your passphrase if it's good ?
> To be more specific mine is 15 letters and one number. the words used
> comes from rather obscure literature.

What is obscure in Swedish may be off the chart in America.

The real answer is that you can not tell. There are good rules of thumb,
such as this:

http://www.microsoft.com/protect/yourself/password/create.mspx

> there my pass is judged as "resonable" with "Entropy: 48.9 bits "

There is a fundamental flaw in measuring entropy in this context.
The definition comes from Claude Shannon's work, which is also the basis
for PCM audio, so I can make a tenuous connection back to audio,
squeezeboxen, etc. and is based on probability.

The usual measure is based on characters. So in theory, the information
value of an eight bit character is 1/256. But in English, we use far
fewer characters in "words". And as pointed out above, the character set
may have other limitations. So the values may be radically different in
practice.

Most folks use something close to words in their native language. This
is the basis for all dictionary attacks. The Microsoft paper cited
above, talks about how conversions to EleetSpeak, or similar things are
weak. They specifically say that "M1cr0$0ft" is not much more 'random'
than "Microsoft".

As the Microsoft paper says: "Avoid dictionary words in any language.
Criminals use sophisticated tools that can rapidly guess passwords that
are based on words in multiple dictionaries, including words spelled
backwards, common misspellings, and substitutions. This includes all
sorts of profanity and any word you would not say in front of your
children."

The problem is always social engineering, humans simply can't remember
strong random things. We have not evolved to do so. So we either use
something not random, like the phrase about Transporters in my posting
up thread, or we write it down on yellow sticky pads and past them to
the monitor.

> All music in the world is aviable on any torrent tracker.

The primary rule of serious security is to make the cost of the attack
higher than the value of the target. So if all that is in the target is
music, which is all over the torrent world, then there is little value
in the attack.

This could change if your music is flac and all the torrents have is
over compressed MP3.

Realistically, the primary value in attacks on home servers is either:
1) access to bank accounts, brokerage accounts, or identity theft enablers
2) hosts for botnets to attack other systems.

What is interesting to me is that nearly all of the information for this
stuff is ancient. I wrote Towards a Model of Computer Security October
1992 National Computer Security Conference, Fort Meade, MD, with William
H Murray. That was nearly 15 years ago. We modeled how a machine can be
used as a resource for attacks on other systems.

Some folks might notice how close "Fort Meade, MD" is to a agency of
interest.

--
Pat Farrell
http://www.pfarrell.com/