RonM;298784 Wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I'd like to set up a server arrangement, whereby a server with all my
> music files was "always on", so my computer didn't have to be, in order
> to use the Duet at random times.  I'm not exactly sure what my options
> are.
>
> The objectives are:
>
> 1.  Always available

Not a problem.

RonM;298784 Wrote:
> 2.  Low power consumption (ideally, goes to sleep when not in use,
> awakes on demand)
Just a matter of choosing the right equipment and getting the WOL to
play ball. Personally, I leave mine running all the time.

RonM;298784 Wrote:
> 3.  Plenty of storage
Again, no problem just a matter of choosing the correct equipment.

RonM;298784 Wrote:
> 4.  Potential use as network storage for other kinds of files
See answer to Question 3.

RonM;298784 Wrote:
> I was looking at the new little server for the home market that HP has
> out, and it looks kind of sweet (although at $500+ it's not cheap). It
> runs Windows Home Server, has to be accessed through a console (other
> computer on the network) and has 500gigs in its cheap version, with
> plenty of SATA slots for expansion.
If you are a little computer savvy, you can build your own from an old
PC or with all new parts and use Linux for the OS or WHS, cheaper then
off the shelf.

RonM;298784 Wrote:
> So, any thoughts or recommendations?  I'd prefer not to have to enter
> the Linux world, if possible. Ron

If not entering the Linux world, WHS might be the best choice. I prefer
to build my own servers because I control the parts and cost. And
because I built it, I can service it if need be.

--
iPhone

iPhone

Last.FM http://www.lastfm.com/user/mePhone

Media Room:
Transporter, Vandersteen Quatro Signature, Ayre MX-R Mono Blocks, VTL
TL-6.5 Signature Pre-Amp, VCC-5 Reference Center Channel, four VSM-1
Signatures, Runco 710, RAM Oppo DV970HD, VeraStarr 6.4SE

Living Room:
SqueezeBox Duet, Vandersteen Model 3A Signature, Two 2Wq subs, VCC-2,
Two VSM-1, ADCOM GTP-870HD, Cinepro 3K6SE III Gold

Bedroom:
Squeezebox 3, Thiel 2.3, NAD C370