RonM;299393 Wrote:
> Not sure why a ripping device on a server is an advantage -- if I'm
> using another computer on the network with this capacity, I'd be
> inclined to just rip on that computer, but rip it to a drive on the
> server.r.

Just for convenience of having it all in one place. I currently use my
Mac Pro for photo and video editing.  I don't want it on all the
time-don't need to waste the energy, but need to access the 1500 CDs I
have whenever I want. So I'd rather have a main server for streaming
music and video.  I've looked at the ripserver solution, but figure its
easier and cheaper to build something myself.  Many of you have
indicated the cost savings already.

Like pfarrell said, I like to leave it alone most of the time.

I've considered the mimi mac solution, but I've already invested in two
1TB drives, so I might as well find an old pc or mac to shove them in
for less than $600USD.

--
grrman

Daily Gearhead