Every time I use my Duet, it just works.  But there are a thousand variables
which make your setup different than mine.

If you're having problems, you're left with a choice: Work through them via
technical support, the forums, and reporting bugs, or switch to a different
product.  I've never used Sonos, but by all reports it is closer to Plug N
Play than the Slim Devices offering.  The trade off is that it offers far
less in terms of options (and possibly audio quality), but it does seem to
"just work" for most people.