radish;299411 Wrote:
> I'm curious - which "mainstream" manufacturers are you talking about
> here? I'd be willing to bet there aren't many companies larger or more
> mainstream than Logitech making such devices. The only biggie I can
> think of is MS, and their model with WMS is actually surprisingly
> similar to SC/SB at the conceptual level.
>
> And to add to what people have been saying about reliability - I
> have/have had players from the SB1 through to the TP and SBR. My server
> runs on an old Win XP box, with pre-release software no less, and I
> can't remember the last time it didn't "just work". Look at how long
> I've been around this forum, if they didn't work I wouldn't be here!
> In fact I've had more problems with the 2 Macs in my house than the
> Squeezeboxes ;)   *dons flameproof underwear*
>
> On a wild tangemt, I recently bought a house after living in rented
> apartments since leaving home, and I can tell you there was a steep
> learning curve! More than once I found myself wishing I'd just stayed
> in that nice building where everything was done for me, but in the end
> I'm glad I stuck with it, the freedom and flexibility is worth a little
> work!

Sorry, by "mainstream" I meant mainstream audio (not computer gizmo)
companies...Naim, McIntosh, Arcam, Linn, Meridian, NAD etc. Many more
will follow!

OK so most of these are pretty high-end but that's usually the trend.
Eventually there will be a trickle-down...

I'm pretty sure these guys are taking media servers VERY seriously.

I did say mainstream not "mass market" :o)

--
Phil Leigh

ain't what you'd call minimal...SB3+Stontronics PSU - Altmann
JISCO/UPCI - TACT RCS 2.2X with Good Vibrations S/W - MF X-DAC
V3/X-PSU/X-10 buffer (Audiocomm full mods)- Linn 5103 - Linn Aktiv 5.1
system (6x LK140's, ESPEK/TRIKAN/KATAN/SEIZMIK 10.5), Townsend
Supertweeters, Kimber & Chord cables