CatBus;299426 Wrote:
> There are two kinds of "VA logic" at play: 1) The logic that determines
> whether or not an album is a compilation, and 2) The logic that
> determines how compilations should be displayed in the interface.
>
> In my opinion, the logic for #1 is PERFECT...and I don't use that word
> lightly because I'm very particular about how I tag my collection.  If
> you're willing to do some minor housekeeping with explicit COMPILATION
> tags, you have the flexibility to do anything you want, without
> breaking compatibility with other music management software.
> Considering how many organizational styles there are out there, this is
> pretty much the only way I can imagine accommodating them all.
> Excellent work, SlimDevices!
>
> The logic for #2 on the other hand...could use some cleaning up.  For
> example, I'm one of those dinosaurs who pretty much exclusively plays
> albums straight through.  But what happens when you have an artist with
> a full album, but they are also featured on a compilation?  Right now,
> no matter which compilation options you choose, when you browse by
> artist, you get the full albums, plus little compilation "stubs" that
> only show the one or two songs from that compilation associated with
> that artist.  If I'm interested in playing the compilation at all, I'd
> want to play the whole thing, because that's my style.  So for me, the
> compilations should either not be listed at all under the artists, or
> they should be listed as complete albums.  Ideally if they are listed
> under the artist, they would all be sorted after the artist's proper
> albums.  But then that's just for album-playing dinosaurs like
> me--others would argue vehemently that this is exactly the wrong way to
> do things, and they'd be right--for them.
>
> #2 is the path to insanity for software developers though.  Getting a
> "YES" or "NO" answer to the question "Is this a compilation?" is
> well-suited to automation and SD deals with the problem admirably.  How
> to display that data is an open-ended question with nearly infinite
> answers, and that's NOT quite so well-suited for automation.

aha - this I totally agree with.
maybe an option: "display Whole album containing compiled tracks by
artist" vs. "display only tracks by selected artist" (or something like
that?)

--
Phil Leigh

ain't what you'd call minimal...SB3+Stontronics PSU - Altmann
JISCO/UPCI - TACT RCS 2.2X with Good Vibrations S/W - MF X-DAC
V3/X-PSU/X-10 buffer (Audiocomm full mods)- Linn 5103 - Linn Aktiv 5.1
system (6x LK140's, ESPEK/TRIKAN/KATAN/SEIZMIK 10.5), Townsend
Supertweeters, Kimber & Chord cables