pfarrell;299534 Wrote:
> CatBus wrote:
> >> (which aren't part of the 2.3 spec)
> >
> > Sounds to me like your real beef is with the inadequacies of the 2.3
> > spec.  If a file doesn't have any means of unambiguously telling a
> > music manager whether it's a compilation or not, you should use a
> > better file.
>
> This whole thread is tedious to read, but this part struck me.
> The MP3 tag "spec" is a farce. It is not maintained by any recognized
> party (IETF, ISO, etc.) and as far as I can tell, no one implements all
>
> of any part of it. Mostly because its a bad spec.
>
> Considering the MP3 tags as more than suggestions is not very useful.
> IMHO, YMMV.

i agree.  however, it is a universal baseline most apps have basic
compatibility with.

the main thing i am trying to point out is that most users in the
marketplace do not have user defined tags.

all of these issues are separate from the main question of the thread,
which is: is the VA logic necessary?

i would say that so far, the only answer i have gotten on the VA logic
itself, is that it is not necessary, and does not work properly or as
intended, BUT that for some people it is useful.

therefore i think it should only be included as an opt-in option.

--
MrSinatra

www.LION-Radio.org
Using:
Squeezebox2 (primary) / SBR (secondary) / SBC - w/SC 7.0.1beta - Win XP
Pro SP2 - 3.2ghz / 2gig ram - D-Link DIR-655