I used my daughter's recently discarded 2.5GHz P4 to set up a dedicated
server to run SC, DNS (Bind), support file backups, and serve photos,
etc.  Bought two 1TB drives and a SATA controller card, and am running
the drives in RAID1 using Linux software RAID.  Machine runs SSH and
Samba for file serving.  May add Postfix for sending email.  DNS
lookups are way faster than via ISP's nameservers.  Machine is in a
closet.

P4 throttles down to 316MHz most of the time (including when serving
FLAC files via SC).  I have not set the disks to spin down, though
might consider that.  Have somewhat mixed feelings, as I have generally
had fewer problems with machines whose disks run constantly, and the TB
drives are WD "green" disks that use only a few watts each when just
spinning.  When processor is throttled down, machine uses about
75watts, which I think is acceptable for all its functions.
Particularly useful to be able to run scripts to automatically back up
all the machines in the house onto RAID1 disks.

--
ncarver