I've noticed mention in the odd post about a standalone unit that's able
to rip, store and serve music.  I guess it'll appear in some people's
wishlist as an alternative to using a computer or NAS.

Well, it looks like someone's gone ahead and done it...
http://www.3ga.org.uk/home/

Clearly, to produce a consumer device that rips and tags CDs is a
potential nightmare (as posts on the ripping/tagging forum will
testify) so any attempt to do this on a commercial basis will have made
compromises.  I find it interesting to see what those decisions were.
For example, rather than have the unit connect to the internet, it
contains its own CD database which can be updated at a cost.  It also
contains a 60W amplifier.

I feel the Slim Devices platform has many advantages if Logitech
decides this type of product has commercial viability (not least flac
and network connectivity) so it will be interesting to see if this
product is successful.

--
dick