results, please visit http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=48430
Question: Does a dedicated PC/music server sound better than a PC used
for other duties?

- Yes it does.
- No it doesn't make any difference.

To get the discussion back on topic...

I am using a very small fanless box running Linux (SlimCD from Michael
Herger) based on a mini-ITX board. My music sits on an external 750
Gbyte Seagate FreeAgent Pro HDD. This equipment sits in a corner next
to my Netgear router. The music server has been running without being
touched for the better part of a year now. It is silent and trouble
free. I rip music using my laptop and then drag the FLAC files over to
it.

I cannot imagine going back. It is indeed a utility like central air.
Actually it is a toaster. It does not matter what happens on other
computers in the house, whether they go down, get upgraded, get yanked
out, whatever. The music server is a constant. Every morning I make
toast, and listen to music.

A music server is a no-brainer unless you have a machine that will not
interrupt Beethoven. A strong machine that never goes down, never gets
mucked up, never gets tasked heavily with doing something else, never
gets knocked off the network or moved, one that is never used for
"experiments," ... Not a chance of that happening in my life :)

-Ron

--
Ron F.

*Squeezebox setup:* wireless SB3 -> CI Audio VDA.2 DAC + VAC.1 PSU
*Main rig:* NAD 7600 + NAD 2600A -> Phase Tech PC-6.5 speakers
*Headphone rig:* Headroom Max -> Sennheiser 650s
*Music Server:* Nano-ITX computer running SlimCD + 750 GByte HDD ->
Netgear wireless router
*Other stuff:* NAD C542 CDP, NAD 6300 Tape, Monster 5100 Power
conditioner, Outlaw Audio cables