For people wanting a quick and neat search facility, take a looks at
Erland's Custom Browse plugin:
http://wiki.slimdevices.com/index.php/Custom_Browse_plugin

I do agree that the Controller wheel is curiously difficult to move in
small steps. Moving just one item forward or back can be frustrating.
I've never had this problem with the thumb wheel on my Rio Karma (which
is like the wheel on a mouse rather than an iPod).

Something I recently discovered that helped is to use the thumb in a
much "flatter" orientation. For rapid spinning of the wheel, one tends
to use the tip of the thumb so that you can easily go round & round.
But once you're close to the required place and need to to move a small
amount, if you then "lay the thumb down" and use its pad (where the
fingerprint is) instead of its tip, that seems to give better
micro-control.

--
cliveb

Transporter -> ATC SCM100A